Even if you have just one plant, zucchini can take over. So what to do with all that squash? Well, I have a great recipe for making zucchini into bread and butter style pickles*.
What you will need:
14 cups diagonally sliced zucchini
1/2 cup pickling/canning salt
6 cups white vinegar
4 cups granulated sugar
4 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp ground tumeric
What you need to do:
1. In a glass or stainless steel bowl, layer zucchini slices with pickling salt. Add cool water to cover. Cover and let stand at room temp for 2 hours. Drain and rinse with running water.
2. In a large stainless steel saucepan combine the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in zucchini slices. Let stand for 1 hour.
3. Return saucepan to heat and bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Boil for about 5 minutes.
4. Pack zucchini into hot, sterile jars with a generous 1/2″ head space. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jars to cover zucchini. Wipe rim and screw band down to finger tight.
5. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Process for 10 minutes.
*From the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.