Oh how I love the three day weekend. With the days getting longer all I can think about is hanging out in the yard and playing with the critters. But this weekend, this three day weekend I’ve got some big and not-so-big plans. And I have a lot of them.
- Fava beans need to get harvested and the plants turned in to the soil.
- We’ve got some major weeding to do. MAJOR weeding. I’m not even going to post a photo of the garden right now because it’s that embarrassing.
- Apples and pears need to get thinned and then we need to “sock” the apples.
- Finish hotwiring the fence. Squirrels, you better kiss that fruit goodbye ’cause you’re not getting to it ever again!
- Pickle 30lbs of artichokes.
- Make 3 lbs of cheese.
- Start working on the greenhouse and figure out the framing materials we will need.
- Set up a new milking area (this will be the 4th or maybe the 5th iteration) and start milking Sedona.
- Trim hooves on the goats.
- Figure out what to do about the wild blackberry in our yard. Pull it out or try to contain it?
- And then of course the usual stuff, laundry, cleaning, animal care, farmers’ market, etc.
Will I get everything done? Probably not. I’m certain it will all flow over into next week as well. The must-do items are the cheese, artichokes, milking and apple trees. Those items just can’t wait. Of course there are many more projects we have in the plans going on including building a cob oven and outdoor kitchen, a large patio trellis, a shed, a hay storage area, and of course painting the house inside and out.
What are your plans for the long weekend?