After a completely miserable potato harvest this year we’ve decided to pull them out of the ground and do them in boxes made out of pallets. That way we can use weedblock under them to eliminate the whole bindweed issue. So today, the boxes went up.
We cleaned up an area of our yard which was just a pile of old scrap wood. We pulled the weeds and raked it as smooth as we could get it.
We got some 4′ wide contractor grade weedblock and laid it down using staples.
We used two sizes of pallets. The back and front sides are 36×48 and the sides/dividers are 36×36. This allowed the weedblock to extend past the bottom footprint of the boxes.
The corners were screwed together in 4 spots with 1-1/2″ deck screws.
We used 3″ deck screws to attach the front and back pallets together in 3 places.
We did the back, sides and dividers first before attaching the front pallets. Of course the two sides closest to the camera were put in sideways and had to be redone, which really didn’t take much time.
Tom had to jump in for a photo op once they were all put together.
We started filling them by putting straw on the bottom just to help keep everything from falling out.
We then started putting in composted animal bedding and manure and screened top soil. We only filled them about half way so we can build up as the potatoes grow.
4 thoughts on “The Potato Bin Experiment”
good luck with the spuds.
Comments are closed.