Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I am new to making cheese, but I love doing it! Once you have the tools you need it can be quite fun, though sometimes time consuming. But the resulting product is nothing short of amazing. There’s something to be said about processing your own food. So I’m taking a page from Mrs. Wheelbarrow and The…

Read More ›

We want your photos, stories and knowledge!

Monday is our guest post day. But we want more than just guest posts. We’d love to share your photos of your urban or rural farm to share. We want your stories whether they are funny, moving or sad to share. And of course we want your knowledge to share. And as usual, we will…

Read More ›

Meet Your Farmer – How Farming Should Be

We’re going to now be going out and meeting the farmers that produce our food. I want to try and feature a farmer once a month that raises and grows our food in a way that sustainable and that we feel are doing what’s truly right. This first one is extra special to us. ————————————————————–…

Read More ›

Thrive! It’s Heidi’s Turn!

I’m so excited to share another Whole Foods film on urban farming. This time it’s our good friends at Itty Bitty Farm in the City. Also, tonight on Facebook Heidi and I are answering any of your urban farming questions. Just post your question on the ‘Discussions’ tab (under the profile photo) on Whole Foods’ Facebook page and…

Read More ›

Urban Homesteading Action Day

Today is another action day to reclaim urban homesteading. But instead of blog posts urban homesteaders are creating YouTube videos. As more people post them, I will add them to this post. So stay tuned throughout the day to see more videos. And please go leave these awesome homesteaders some love on their YouTube videos!

Read More ›

Dirty Fingernails & Mucky Boots Blogger Award

In keeping with the spirit of the Stylish Blogger Award (which seems to be spreading like wild Amaranth), Carolyn Renee from Krazo Acres started her own blogosphere award:   This very un-prestigious award is given to those bloggers who share a vision: The vision that growing your own food is a rewarding experience.  That making an…

Read More ›

The 11 Rules of Being a Real Urban Homesteader*

1. This isn’t Fight Club. Talk about urban homesteading to everyone. Go ahead and be an urban homesteading asshole. Even if they aren’t interested force them to listen to you. Eventually they will “get it” and will thank you for forcing it upon them. 2. You must live in a city. Well, duh. But you…

Read More ›

What Urban Homesteading Means to Us

It’s about security and health. But most of all it’s about community. Not just the urban homesteading community, but the community we live in. Our security comes from knowing where our food comes from and that as long as we know how to grow it and raise it, we’ll always have it available. It’s about…

Read More ›